Monday, March 31, 2008

Decay






I am fascinated by decay. Things getting eroded, rusty things, wood or color with patina, really anything that shows the time it has endured. These pictures show one tree stump in various stages of decay.
Aged things are much more interesting than new things. They show wear and tear, you can see what the weather did to them if they are outside. Look at stone eroding - perhaps I am in love with these processes because they show that nothing is really forever. So who am I to complain that my life, too, will come to an end...
Don't get me wrong: I am not morbid. I wasn't just diagnosed - this fascination with decay and old age has been with me for decades. I love the faces of old people: They tell of joy and sorrow and the struggles they had during their life. These faces are by far more beautiful than those of any model.

No comments: